Freebirds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Usefull B29 info

3 posters

Go down

Usefull B29 info Empty Usefull B29 info

Post by FBBob Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Periodically, I like to fly test configurations of bombers, because if I can get the configuration to work, and survive launching, then nearlly anyone else can also do it. Here is what I have to report on B-29, noting that it is best to err on the side of caution when launching this plane. If you find this useful, then good. If you don't, then you are free to dispose of the information as you see fit.

B-29 as modeled in Aces High II: Plane empty weight no fuel: 84,670 lbs. 25% fuel adds 9975 lbs. each 25% added. Notice I did not subtract the weight of internal ordinance (gun ammunition), oil, etc. The wikipedia entry states a plane weight of 74,500. The same entry also posts a maximum takeoff weight of 135,000 lbs., and a maximum weight combat load of 155,000 lbs. on record.

100% fuel flight test, maximum payload: 68Cactus reported the total failure of B-29(in Aces High II) to survive launch with 100% fuel and the heaviest bomb load (40 of the 500# bombs). The base altitude was roughly 200 ft. When I launched under the same conditions, I was able to get off the ground, but not able to develop enough airspeed to avoid local trees. I barely managed to get a single bomber to survive in sustained flight (with loss of both drones) in a 100 knot head wind in the offline practice area, but this is very dangerous if the plane drifts off heading even slightly. Any sortie requiring this 20,000 lb payload will come at the cost of fuel weight. I noticed on the runway the plane's weight was 144,570 lbs total. I suspect the maximum on record takeoff weight was accomplished by utilizing ground effect lift over water. Lauching from a base nearer water (same 0.2K base alt.), by dumping flaps until the end of the runway and staying in auto-climb, flight was sustained with 2 notches flaps once in air. Gradual increase in flight speed was noted, and thus dumping one notch flaps was possible once 150 mph was reached, flaps totally raised past 170 mph, with slight stall noted until airspeed was above 180. Over 330 minutes of fuel burn time with this configuration.

75% fuel flight test, maximum payload: Successful launch with drones, keep in auto-launch, allow planes to get airborne, raise one notch flaps at above 150 mph, raise flaps totally at 170 mph and 300-400 ft above ground level. Approximate fuel burn time is 250 minutes. I would not attempt this launch unless the terrain is free of obstacles completely, with few trees as possible.

50% fuel flight test, maximum payload: Successful in launching with drones with the heavy bomb load and 50% fuel, only slight problems getting above stall speed of 175 mph with flaps up. I had to raise flaps on runout to gain speed, run off the end of the runway slightly, then drop flaps in steps as needed to clear trees. This is from a base at or near sea level. Once flight has reached 20K, there is still over two hours fuel at 100% throttle, so 50% should cover most activity in this bomber.

If launching from a "perch" base of 3K and up, especially if there are no obstacles, and the terrain slopes or drops away, launch will be greatly simplified., but I do not recommend launching with a total weight above X.

New air spawn parameters: Air spawns have been changed such that no action by the operator other than pushing the throttle forward is needed, the plane launches level, with drones in formation, and wheels automatically raise. I recommend racking your throttle forward, then back, then full forward if you have a sluggish response of throttle on first daily sortie (like I sometimes do).

FBBob
FBBob
General
Commanding Officer

GeneralCommanding Officer

My Aces High II Stats
*As Of: 4/1/2011

Back to top Go down

Usefull B29 info Empty Re: Usefull B29 info

Post by FBBob Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 pm

This Info I believe was sent to ne by one of the 68th (i think? cpid is unknown, but nameis James Stewart) Looks like good info!!
FBBob
FBBob
General
Commanding Officer

GeneralCommanding Officer

My Aces High II Stats

Back to top Go down

Usefull B29 info Empty Heavyweight Take-off

Post by FBCrabby Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 pm

I can argue against that - I have had only 1 fail with the max 500lb 100% fuel, and that was in the offline arena when it was still "new"

In order to get the super-load off the ground do as follow:

1) Start Engines and Full Throttle With Web- "HOLD" brakes for 2 seconds then release.

2) Roll down the runway until your speed is 160 mph.

3) When initially pulling up - just go high enough to get gear up - then start a slow climb. All you have to do is get to 100ft to get drones to pick up.

4) Once drones start forming - drop if necessary to get speed. Don't make friends with trees

5) After a few moments - you should be home free...
FBCrabby
FBCrabby
Adjutant
Staff Officer

My Aces High II Stats

http://ahfreebirds.com

Back to top Go down

Usefull B29 info Empty Re: Usefull B29 info

Post by FBAdolla Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 pm

yes but the trees always want to be my friend
FBAdolla